Tuesday, July 10, 2012

It's a little strange

It's a little strange to realize how old you really are. I bet for the longest time, you've always thought that perhaps your personality hasn't changed and won't change because you'll always be who you are.

Honestly, that's foolish. People change, based on the surroundings and the lessons learned as each day passes. I know I've changed. It's a little scary to see myself in others, to see a past self in younger people.

Today I'm sitting at the Rio Hondo Dining Hall, to utilize the wi-fi here in this new, wonderful establishment with the air conditioning on full blast. In front of me is a young couple, and that boy in front of me is somebody I can relate to when I was his age. He's completely enamored by this girl. He jokes around, talks a lot, smiles alot, kisses her and holds her plenty and I just know he has no idea what's ahead of him. To him, she can do no wrong, to him, she is perfect, and to him, she will love him no matter what.

What he doesn't realize is how he has to work for the love, to be the best man he can be for her. She knows that, and she's already expecting that. That's what he's going to run into someday, and that's what I see in him. A certain naivety that can't be taught, only experienced.

No comments:

Post a Comment